Thursday, December 13, 2012

Chapter 18: Seamless

           Everyone was in crazy 'get ready for the ball' mode.
           I, for one, was suddenly being bombarded with chores from step-mother.
           "Make Drizella's bed!" she crowed.
           So I did.
           "You smell bad!" she cackled.
           As a matter of fact, I did.
           "Take a bath!" 
           So I did. But first I cleaned out the tub. When I finished my rather hurried bath, I called step-mother in. "Step-mother, look!" I cried happily, pointing at the bath.
           "What?" she said, confused.
           "It cleans itself automatically!" I had no idea how. It made no sense. But it did. And that was all that mattered.
           Step-mother looked disturbed. "How is this possible?" Without waiting for an answer, she whispered, "Magic." At first, I thought she was just being cheeky, but then I realized that there was no other answer.
           "Are you a witch?" step-mother asked sternly.
           "Aren't they green and have long, crooked noses?" I asked in surprise.
           Step-mother snorted. "The usual ignorance. What else could I expect from you? No, witches don't have long crooked noses and very few are green. However, if you were a witch we would've known long before now." She tossed me a long paper. "Here," she said, walking away, "Chore list to have done for the ball."


           I proceeded to tackle the rest of my chores. Washing dishes, scooping Lucifer's litter box out, and making multiple adjustments to my step-sisters' and step-mothers' ball gowns were among the few chores I had. My steps had insisted that I make their gowns absolutely remarkable. Drizella had whispered a few requirements to me to make her dress sexual, and Anastasia bossed me into making her dress even cuter. Surprisingly, though, all the adjustments went rather well, and I found that the sewing went, well, seamlessly. It went a little too smoothly... A little unnaturally smoothly. I wondered if I had a guardian angel of some sort watching over me...




           Anastasia then got up and barked at me to prepare a proper breakfast, so I made her some blueberry pancakes, washing off the counter that I had dirtied, with Lucifer watching me suspiciously. 




           I slopped some of the batter I was stirring on my already filthy nightie, so I pulled it off and set it in the bathtub before changing into my normal clothes. I returned to my cooking and sat across from Anastasia, both of us quietly eating our food.
           "You'd better be careful," she whispered softly, "I know that you ate cake this morning, and if you keep eating like this you won't fit into your ball gown."
           I looked into her face with annoyance, but only found care and sincerity in her face. "Oh my gosh," I said in sudden realization, "I need a ball gown!" I leaped up from my chair, leaving Anastasia to make phone calls regarding the ball.
           "How much for a limo? And if we added one more person?" I heard her inquiring as I dashed into my room.


           I should've known better than to have doubted step-mother's ability to ruin any plan I ever had. I felt a strong grip yank my arm back, and I faced my step-mother, who was grinning evilly. "Cinderella," she said, always one to be evil quietly, "Your bird made a mess! Go clean it up, can't you?"
           "Yes, step-mother." And so I was off again. Pino cheeped noisily inside his cage as I picked up the loose sticks and such he had tossed over. "Pino, dear," I said with annoyance, "Why must you create more work for me?"
           Pino just tweeted frantically. I sighed, carrying the sticks over to the trash. As I walked up to the trash, I saw a strange dog chasing away our mail-person  I picked up the dropped letters and opened the mailbox up. Inside was a package, addressed to me. My heart raced excitedly. Could it be? But-no, that was silly... Still... My heart drumming out a steady beat, I ripped open the package, letters tucked under my armpit.
           Although it wasn't what I was hoping for, it was still a pleasant surprise.
           Inside was a uniform with a note.
Dear Cinderella Casmin,
           As you have surly being expecting, we have sent you your outfit. Please make sure to wear this uniform at ALL TIMES while performing within our company. A failure to do so will result in a severely reduced paycheck.
           Your first client is expecting you at the local gym at ten after two. It is a mandatory meeting, and if you do not report to her, you will be dismissed without pay. If such a thing happens, make sure to return the uniform as soon as possible, in mint condition.
           If you carry out your job as expected, you will receive a minimum five dollar check, with added money depending on the quality of your job.
           Cheers,
                      Lashon LaVelle



           I ran inside, delighted, throwing my outfit on quickly with added accessories from the trusty dresser. Around me, step-mother worked out, and Anastasia, now dressed in her pajamas, talked on her cell phone. In fact, so was Drizella. The two sisters spoke of different topics, but their conversations had quite a few things in common-the ball, gowns, hair, makeup, and money. Money, money, money. A juice box lay crumpled on the table. 
           I still had plenty of time, so I washed one sink out and repaired the other. I was careful not to dirty my absolutely adorable outfit.
           It was really cute-spunky red high heels, dark blood red leggings, and the tiniest, cutest red hat. There was a white shirt and dark tie underneath the BEST red jumper. It reminded me of something a attendant or something would wear, because of the gold trimmings and buttons. I wore my hair in a bun so that it'd be out of my face.


           I then ate another piece of cake (why was I so fat? I was going to get fat) and washed up my dishes, accidentally soaking the fabric. I checked the time and saw it was time to go, so I dashed outside, hailing a cab, my sleeves still dripping.
           "Gym," I huffed. The cabbie driver gave me an odd look.
           "Right, ma'am," he said. After a few moments of driving, he said, "I think you need it."
           "Excuse me?" I gasped, appalled. I looked down at my stomach. Was I really packing it on?
           He turned bright red. "Oh, NO, ma'am, not in that way! You're very skinny! But you don't seem FIT is all!"
           "Oh," I said, remembering my out of breathness. "Yes."
           I tumbled out of the taxi, both of us embarrassed, before remembering I hadn't payed him. He drove off before I could though, which was fine with me since I didn't have any money on me. I walked inside the cool gym, enjoying the feeling of success.
           I walked around for a little bit, suddenly unsure of where to go. I had expected my client to be right there for me. I strolled past the treadmills and weight machines. There was a small cluster of attractive guys seated at the poolside. They wolf whistled at me as I passed. I blushed profusely.
           Just when I had almost lost hope and considered flirting with some of the hot and non-creepy guys, an old lady tapped my shoulder. She was absolutely tiny, with gray hair pulled into two buns on the... side of her head? There were flowers pinned in the buns, and she was wearing a blue and white striped old lady swimsuit. She was sopping wet.
           "Excuse me?" she quailed in a tiny, unbelievable voice. Her eyelids fluttered like tired moths and lips fumbled around each other. "Are you the lady hired to congratulate me?"



           I grinned cheerfully at her. "What am I to congratulate you about?"
           The old lady quivered, and for a second I was afraid she'd topple right over, but she took a deep breath and said, "Well, not only is it my 100th birthday next week... but today I just completed a twenty minute run on the highest level!"
           I opened my eyes wide at her. "Really, ma'am? That's extraordinary!"
           She smiled a gummy smile and clasped her hands together in front of her. "You can begin whenever..."
           I realized I had no music to sing to, and I felt quite foolish. But... what was this? Something was pressing against my hip, a sharp, blunt pain. I let out a cry and reached into my pocket, and found that something was in it! My pockets were certainly just for show, but I reached in anyway and pulled out some kind of music player! I set it on the ground and celebratory music started playing. It was slightly familiar, but all of a sudden I knew all of the words.
           As I belted out the song in a way I thought an old lady would appreciate, effects came out of the machine. Bubbles mainly, but as I finished, confetti and balloons emerged! Once again, I felt something in my pocket, and instinctively reached in and pulled out a gift.
           "For you!" I cheered, pumping my hand in the air. The old lady accepted it with many thanks, telling me that she would tell my company about what I good job I did.
           And that was it.
           I walked home so that I wouldn't have another 'cabbie' episode.



           By the time I got home, it was time to prepare supper. I was starting to fret-I had no dress! But I had some money saved up just in case. Still in my uniform, I pulled out the ingredients to make craft dinner, and when I was finished, I stuck it in the fridge for later. Then, I some grilled cheese sandwiches. Still not the healthiest dinner choice, but it would have to do. We ate dinner silently and quickly. As soon as Anastasia and Drizella had gulped down their supper, they resumed phone conversations, barking out orders for me occasionally. When step-mother finished eating, she sat still for a very long time before retiring to her room.


            Drizella called me to the bathroom. "CINDERELLA!!!" she shrieked happily.
           "Yes, Drizella?"
           "Toilet," she said happily, pointing at the dirty toilet.
           "FINE!" I said, pushing her out of the bathroom. I cleaned the toilet, and it wasn't until I was done that I realized I was in my outfit. When I had gotten into my regular clothes, I found Drizella fixing the toilet with the trusty plunger. She was now dressed in her scandalous pajamas.



           When she finished, I pulled out my hammer and started fiddling with the toilet. If it worked on the tub, I was sure as hell it could work on the toilet. 
           And I was right. Several sweaty minutes later and one quick pee-pee break, I discovered that the toilet could, now, clean itself. Excitement started to grow in me as I realized all the potential! I could make self-cleaning sinks! Self-cleaning stoves! Self-cleaning everything!
           Speaking of sinks, Drizella was busy repairing one she had just messed up. Maybe once she was done, I'd have a go.




            After running out quickly to clean Pino's cage, I settled myself in bed, wanting to get a good night of sleep. I dreamed of singing, and how I would be rich by singing. I was going to be a legend. I woke up smiling, despite the fact that it was the sound of Anastasia saying, "No, he's so trashy," that woke me up. Drizella was also awake. They needed lots of time to prepare themselves.
           As I made Drizella's bed, I heard Anastasia say aimlessly, "Cinderella, I heard Jared's going to be there..."
           "Oh?" I said, distracted. "That's good."
           She turned to me. "Is it? Is it really? Do we want Drizella and Jared to be married?"
           I said nothing.



           It was the morning of the ball. My heart quivered excitedly until my step-mother grabbed my arm, dragging me to the hall. "Cinderella," she said, "You cannot go to the ball tonight."
           "I'm eighteen!" I hissed, "I can!"
           She rolled her eyes. "Actually, you can't. The ball rules clearly state that one must own a proper dress in order to attend the ball. You do not own a proper dress. I just don't want you embarrassing yourself." She swept away.
           I stopped myself from shouting after her. I could find a dress before the ball started. I would do it. At the moment, though, I had to make breakfast.
           Once I finished whipping up scrambled eggs and breakfast, I ate breakfast and took a long bath. Once I finished, Drizella dragged me away to work on her outfit some more. Anastasia tossed hers on as well, informing me that she was going to take a bath. Even step-mother tossed her dress to me.
           An hour later, I finished every dress. Anastasia pulled me into the washroom. "Help me get ready," she commanded. I studied her.
           "You don't want a professional hair stylist or makeup artist?" I questioned.
           "I do. That's why I'm asking you."
           My heart melted. That's probably why I did such a fantastic job of getting Anastasia ready.
           After giving her an at-home haircut, I moved Anastasia's part around and curled the bottom of her hair more softly that she normally would've. Once I was satisfied with her hair, I went to work on her makeup. White to pink fading eyeshadow to match her dress, a little bit of blush to liven things up, and popping pink lipstick. I then helped her wiggle into her dress without ruining her makeup or hair, and tied the bow around her dress. A few accessories-white tights, long white gloves, a bracelet, earrings, a necklace, and simple high heels-and voila! Anastasia was all prettied up. She smiled at herself in the mirror. She thanked me and sashayed out of the washroom, just as Drizella marched in.
           "My turn."



           After cutting her hair as well, I straightened the bajeebers out of Drizella's frumpy hair. Red lipstick, blush, and a similar eyeshadow job except in green did the trick. Drizella looked elegant and ready for action. She slid on her dress, seeing it on her body for the first time. The tight, strapless dress rode low on her tiny frame. Just the way she liked it. Drizella also had long green gloves, stockings, a bracelet and earrings. She didn't want a necklace to distract anyone from the view of her 'cleavage'.
           She looked alright.
           When I finished, she gobbled down a piece of cake (somehow her makeup remained intact) and drew out her cellphone, making last minute arrangements.



            Step-mother then pulled out her dress. She went to the bathroom to change. A few minutes later, she called me.
           "Yes, step-mother?" I said. Her dress was dark blue, over the shoulder and simple. She was wearing simple nylons and high heels, as well as long blue gloves and a large jeweled necklace. I took it that it was mandatory to wear long gloves to the ball. Her hair was pulled back, but with strands loose. A little too risque for her, I think. She was applying a coat of red lipstick as I entered.
           "I feel the need to remind you that you are not permitted to go to the ball without a gown. You are certainly not using funds from this house," step-mother said.
           It's alright. Let her think she's won. "Yes, step-mother."
           "Good," she said straightening up. "Normally I would be suspicious of your odd nature, but I suppose you're just... defeated."
           I nodded.
           Step-mother and Drizella and Anastasia stood huddled in a circle, and I drifted around the house. Suddenly a heard a large tap on the window. I jumped and whirled around. It was a birdie! Possibly Pino, but not. I ran to the back of the house.
           A large swarm of birds enveloped me. "What the hell, guys?" I said, suddenly scared as they began removing my clothes, fifty of them lifting my apron with their beak and feet. Pino twittered comfort to me. Gus and Jack chatted as well. I trusted them. I removed the rest of my clothes to make their job easier, left standing in only my undergarments. Two birds flew up and extended their wings in front of my eyes. When I closed my eyes, they flew away. I felt strangely thrilled, standing nearly naked with my eyes shut in my back yard.
           The birds started fitting me in some other clothing, and then they were messing with my hair and my feet.
           When I finally opened my eyes, I looked down to a beautiful dress. It was pink and flowing, with a white material in between the breasts. There were a few flowers that I brushed off. Pino sat on my shoulder. The other birds were no where to be seen.
           "Thank you," I said breathlessly, "Thank you!"





           I ran in to show everyone. "STEP-MOTHER!" I cried with joy, "LOOK! A DRESS!"
           She scowled. "Where did you get that?"
           I was stuck. Where did my little birdy friends get it? "Oh, I just found some old things and made them new," I lied.
           "So you did," step-mother scoffed. "That sash there is mine. That white shirt is Anastasia's. The hems are Drizella's."
           My step-sisters gasped. "HOW DARE YOU STEAL FROM ME!" Drizella cried.
           "GIVE IT BACK!" Anastasia shouted.
           They both lunged at me. I retreated to the washroom, but Drizella ran around the other door, blocking my exit. By the time I turned around, Anastasia had jumped on me. She swore and punched and pinched and pulled, trying to rip my dress apart.
           When she was satisfied with the amount of damage, Anastasia took a step back. I got up, slowly. So. This was the thanks I got. I rolled my shoulders, already sore. I looked in the mirror and moaned. The dress was completely ruined. My hair was a mess. Anastasia still looked fine.
           What a disaster.



           "Anastasia dear, time to go!" step-mother called.
           I watched the three of them climb into a limo. A stretch limo. Step-mother climbed in near the front. Anastasia and Drizella were greeted by friends. I hid my face behind the door, the tears starting to fall. I grabbed my closest comfort food-cake-and gobbled it down greedily. I was crying severely now. I washed the dishes, still sobbing.


            I climbed into bed, defeated. I wouldn't meet the prince. I wouldn't go to the ball. I would be forced to cook and clean forever. I sobbed even harder.
           In between my sobs, I heard a tapping at the window. I sat up.



"Get up, girl! You have a ball to attend!"

No comments:

Post a Comment