Monday, September 24, 2012

Chapter 6: The Field Trip

Even after the morning disaster, there was still a ton of work to do. I mopped in Anastasia and Drizella's room...



Made Drizella's bed...


Made step-mother's bed...


           I fell down with exhaustion onto the floor. It had been too much. Some time later, at least an hour later, I was shaken awake by step-mother. She explained how she had gone into the bathroom and washed her hands but it sprayed back at her. She said I needed to mop up the mess. I knew it was Drizella's doing.


           Since I was already up, I took the garbage out. As I was walking back inside, I realized how badly I needed to pee. I tried the door, but it was locked. Dumb step-sisters. "WHY ME!" I shouted, just to say it. I curled up in a ball and started crying. I really needed to go. I stood up. I would try to break the window down. But it was too late. It trickled down my leg, warm, friendly, and gross. I heard Drizella cackle from inside.
           "What's wrong Cinderella? Mommy never showed you how to use the potty? She probably never learned how to herself," Drizella shreeched happily.

            Of course, I couldn't say anything about her mother.
           Suddenly, I noticed the mop outside the door. Had I left it there? I didn't think so. Nevertheless, it was there, so I mopped up the pee.



            Drizella finally unlocked the door, and I went to the bathroom to get washed up. I spotted Anastasia leaving the tub. It looked as if she had done her business in their... Revolted, I just splashed some water on my face and changed into my school rags. It was good timing, as the school bus honked its horn. I raced over to the bus, but I tripped on some small object. I turned around on the living room mat. It was Lucifer. I was a tiny bit terrified. Lucifer had sharp claws that he liked to dull on human flesh. "Good, kitty, it's alright, Lucifer, it was an accident." Lucifer just looked at me and pounced. I shrieked and covered my face, but he landed on my tummy. I watched in disbelief as Lucifer curled up in a ball and started purring. I cautiously pet his fluffy head, before muttering softly that I had to go to school. Lucifer jumped off, mewling all the while. Would wonders never cease. 
            As usual, the bus driver seated me with one of my step-sisters. It was Anastasia this time, and I saw her and Drizella casting longing glances at each other. They hated it when they couldn't sit together.


            Just my luck, we had a field trip today. Our bus let out my homeroom as well as my step-sisters' homeroom at the school. We traveled in little groups, and unfortunately, I was Drizella and Anastasia. We were also with a boy named Barry Whitfield and our adult supervisor was Stardust Woods. I had seen her daughter roaming around the lower part of the school, the elementary school part. We were to wait while the school's personal taxis assisted us to the hospital that we were visiting (a horrible field trip location in my opinion). Anastasia got in the first taxi and the rest of us waited patiently for the next. Stardust and I mocked Drizella's girly stance, hand on hips and pouty lips. I looked over at Barry and saw him gazing lovingly at Drizella. Ew. Poor, poor boy.


             Two more cabs pulled up, so I hopped into my ride, Drizella into the other. Why would we sit together, what a ridiculous idea. Barry climbed in with me, Stardust into Drizella's, poor woman. Barry grinned shyly at me as the cab drove off. Unlike normal city cabs, the school taxis drove slowly and very carefully. "So, Barry, how are you?" I asked awkwardly.
            Barry was so shy. "I'm good, thank you," he said into his lap.
            "What grade are you in?" I asked. My guess was freshie. Everyone else was really outgoing.
            "Senior. I'm really excited about graduation this year." I gaped, then turned into the window awkwardly. Oops. 
            "How come you're coming with us on this trip?"
            He shrugged. "I want to become a doctor some day, so the school let me come with you guys on your trip."
            I shook my head. Weird. "Hey, wait a second," I clued in, finally recognizing his face. "You're Lela's brother, aren't you?"
            He nodded and began to speak again, but we arrived at our destination, so he stuck out his hand for me to shake and said, "Nice to meet you, though, Cinderella." After I shook his hand he jumped out of the cab and raced into the hospital after Anastasia.



             I followed Barry into the building with Drizella on my heels. I was tired-two hours just didn't cut it. I had had a little bit of coffee and that had worked for an hour or so, but I hadn't had much so I was getting tired again. I walked around with my class, and eventually we split in half, so there were four groups roaming around. Within half an hour, all the kids were roaming around with a couple friends on their own. I was with Talan, Girbits, Mimi, and Becky. Becky and I were really close now-she, Talan and I were always seen together, no matter what. We were unbreakable, unbeatable, and our title was the "Best-Looking Love Triangle." Of course, we laughed it off. Talan smiled whenever someone called us "BLLT", or "BLT" for short. Recently, BLTs had become his preferred food. Sometimes Becky and I cast worried looks at each other though-people randomly walked up to us and told us that "Cinderella is the prettiest," "Becky's my favourite," or "Hands off, sluts, Talan's mine." It hurt sometimes, but we try not to let others affect our friendship. 
            We were only allowed to explore certain parts of the hospital. Under no circumstances were we to ever go into the patients section, for numerous reasons. We were, however, allowed to visit the research laboratory and ask researchers appropriate questions. Girbits and Mimi were debating over what they would do if you ask an inappropriate question-and what exactly defined an inappropriate question. 
            "They grab you by your shirt and boot you out the back," Girbits said.
            "They can't manhandle you!" Mimi reasoned.
            "But they would definitively kick you out," I pointed out.
            "But not literally," Mimi compromised.
            "What would you say though?" Talan asked.
            "Something dumb, like 'What's two plus two?'" Girbits said.
            "No way! They aren't evil," Mimi argued.
            "It would have to be something like, 'Wanna make some science, babe?'" Talan said.
            We all laughed. We were an odd set. Girbits was in a split class with Anastasia and Drizella (since Drizella was older). Talan and I were in the same class, and Mimi and Becky were visiting for the same reasons as Barry. I had always known that Mimi had a desire to help people, but I was shocked with Becky. When I asked her when she had dreamed of becoming a doctor, she shrugged and confided to me that she didn't really want to be a surgeon, thought her parents wanted her to be one.
            "What will you do for a living?" I asked.
            She glanced at me, then sighed. "I don't like working," she said. She nudged me and then winked at a passing freshman boy, sticking her chest out and biting her lip seductively. When he dropped his books and checked his pants, Becky laughed and said to me, "That."
            "Becky," I scolded, amused but worried all the same, "You can't actually be a prostitute."
            "Don't be silly," she said, tsking. "I just want to marry a rich man and settle down. I have no desire to make my own money."
            "Well, you're just ridiculous. Feminists will hate you."
            "Let them."
            "What happened to true love?"
            Becky turned to me, looking grave. "Cindy, I was never very fond of boys. I'm hetro, but men are too much trouble. I'll never fall in love. Just with money. And Cindy," she said as I opened my mouth in disbelief, "Although you never dare let the boys see it, I know you're a romanticizer. And you deserve true love, too."
            I had just let the words sit with me. I did like a touch of romance. Juliet was a sassy rich rebel, and Romeo was a devoted street boy who was so much more romantic than Juliet. I needed a Romeo.

           
            I suddenly felt a wave of nausea. I clutched my stomach and dry heaved. Oh, please, not here, not in front of my friends. The laughter around me stopped. "Are you okay, Cind?" Talan asked, concerned.
            "Yeah, I'm..." I couldn't speak. My eyelids fluttered. A buzzing erupted in my ears. I held my head, screaming, screaming, but no one could here me. It all went black. 
            I awoke on a concrete surface. What? Why? Why, when I blacked out in a hospital, would they lay me to sleep on cement? I didn't open my eyes. I didn't want to wake up, to end this blissfulness. I felt sleepy, but not tired. I must have passed out from exhaustion. I hoped I hadn't hurt myself when I fell. Maybe someone caught me. Maybe Talan caught me. What? Why did I just think that? Why would I want Talan to catch me. Talan was my friend. It would be weird if he caught me. But then, he was the only guy around strong enough to support my weight. That was it. I knew I would be safe if he caught me, that's the only reason why I wanted him to catch me.
            Yeah.
            I finally squinted through my eyelids. It was bright and sunny, blinding. When my eyes finally adjusted, I looked around, still lying down. I was just outside the hospital, lying on the ground. I sat up. Oooh, that smarted. I was stiff from lying on the hot concrete so I stretched a little. 
            "Hey, you're awake!"
            I jumped and looked around. Maybe this person could explain my dilemma. It was Stardust Woods.
            "Oh, hi!" I said brightly, walking over to properly introduce myself. "So, um," I said after greeting her, "How did I end up sleeping on the pavement?"
            "Well, you were in the hospital and then you fainted, I guess. Your friends came yelling, and I asked them what was up. Unfortunately, because you're here on a school trip, there's some major insurance issues, and the only way around it would be for you to rest outside of the hospital. Due to some other unfortunate happenings, the benches were occupied the fat turds... sorry... didn't want to move, so we laid you just on the concrete here," Stardust explained apologetically. 
            "Oh. But why the hard concrete and not the grass?" I asked.
            "That... that is a good question. I just don't think it occurred to us at the time. You were asleep, and we thought it best that we didn't wake you up. You've been out for hours. I've been waiting out here, making sure you're okay."



            "That was kind of you," I said politely. Of course, I didn't think it was anything beyond normal kindness. 
            "I'm really sorry sweetie. I hope you're okay." 
            Of course I was, now. "Yes, thanks." I went to make my way back inside, but she stopped me.
            "Sorry, hun, but there's only half an hour left, now. I think it'd be better if you didn't go back in there. And I don't mean to be pushy, but... How come you fell asleep there, all of a sudden like?" Stardust asked.
            "Well... Do you know Anastasia and Drizella?" I asked.
            "Not very well..."
            "Lady Tremaine?"
            Stardust whimpered. "Of course. She's a horrid, horrid lady!"
            I made a sad face. "She's... she's my step-mother..."
            Stardust looked horrified. "I am SO sorry! Oh, I feel so bad now, I-"
            "It's okay," I said, laughing. I spotted the confused look on her face. "She is my step-mother, but I hate her. Anastasia and Drizella are my step-sisters. I had to stay up all night last night cleaning up after them," I explained, then regretted it. I didn't want to be pitied, and I felt bad, too. I was scared someone might call the authorities to take me away.
            "Oh, hun... That reminds me of my family..."
            We chatted away for quite a while. Nearly twenty minutes later, I found out that was a vegetarian and was very talkative. We took a few silly pictures together and seemed to bond.



            Just as we were discussing what book Stardust had been reading, Talan's father, Rehman Sagar, dashed out of the hospital. He was dressed in his normal surgery gown outfit. I was about to wave to him, but noticed him glaring at me. Confused, I turned to Stardust, who was glaring at Rehman. "What?" I said.
            Stardust breathed out in annoyance. "It's that Rehman. I can't stand him. He and my husband are enemies. He's a know-it-all workaholic who can't take a joke. He is SUCH a jerk."
            I scratched my head in surprise. Mr. Sagar, a know-it-all who can't take a joke? Admittedly, he was a workaholic, but only because he needed to provide for his son. Mr. Sagar was really bright and was quick to offer facts or help his son with his homework, but a know-it-all? And Mr. Sagar always laughed at my jokes. He wasn't the best a cracking one, but I just don't think he had a proper funny bone. Actually, Talan had told me that his father was one promotion away from being high up on the list. He would have much smaller work hours and get paid more, as well as getting a decent pension.
            "Are you sure you know the real Sagar?" I said tentatively.
            Stardust nodded furtively. "He is SUCH a jerk," she repeated confidently. "Can I confide something to you?" she said, tilting her head to the side. I nodded. "Once, he tried to sexually assault me. He grabbed me... Thankfully, Brandon was there and took care of him, but I've never forgiven Rehman for that."
            I couldn't believe it. What? I shook my head in disbelief. But she had told me something personal. I could certainly relate. I leaned in to her ear, and whispered, "I know what it's like... Once, I was almost raped."
            Before I could continue, I was shoved. I went flying and landed on my butt, hard, on the ground. "LESBO!" Drizella screamed before running off. Anastasia was right behind her.


            I got up and ran after the devils. I paused, and waved good-bye to Stardust, then sprinted after them. It was difficult, in a long dress with and apron as well. Anastasia was slow, and I was right on her tail. Drizella was way ahead after getting such a big head start. We turned a corner. I saw the school bus, so I relaxed and started walking. Anastasia mounted the school bus, and I hurried my pace a little. I was at least a minute's walk away. The school bus closed its doors. I started running. The school bus started its engine. I was now full on sprinting, flailing my arms and screaming, "WAIT!!! WAIT!!! WAIT FOR ME!!!"
            But it was too late. The bus had left.
            Damn.


            I ran back home. Fun. I was sweating by the time I arrived home, a complete wreck. Step-mother wasn't at home, and the brats had locked the door. How I hated them. 
            "Guys, you locked the door!" I called.
            "Nice observation, wise one!" Drizella cackled.
            "Guys!" My voice broke.
            "We'll make a deal," Drizella continued heartlessly. "You do my french homework for the rest of the year and I'll let you off the hook." French was her weak point.
            I sighed. I could wait until step-mother came home, but I had too many things to do to bother with this nonsense. "Fine."
            She let me in so I could do her blasted homework. French was one of the few subjects I enjoyed, though.


            I had to tackle the tub, make dinner, make a couple of beds, feed the cat and wash dishes before I could go to sleep, but I finally did. Step-mother had told me I could sleep in her bed for a while, since she would be getting home late and would just wake me up when she got home. I thought that it was actually quite kind of her.


The next day after school, I couldn't believe my eyes.



It was Anastasia, staring at Talan with the most longing eyes I had ever seen before.

No comments:

Post a Comment