Sunday, September 30, 2012

Chapter 8: Mac and Cheese

           I turned off the light and quietly closed the door to leave Anastasia in peace. I strolled back out in time to catch Mandy asking Talan his astrology sign. How lame. I already knew that he was a Scorpio. They stared into each other's eyes, but neither of their eyes contained the same passion as Anastasia's had. Neither looked like they were actually interested in the other. Mandy's green eyes now appeared to be cold and unwilling. She went to put her arms around him, but he shook her off. "I'm actually really exhausted," he said, yawning and blinking heavily.


           It was getting late, so I started to prepare some dinner, watching the events in the house, of course. Drizella and Jared seemed really easy going and friendly towards each other, talking nonstop. They were like a married couple. They were actually kind of cute together, even if they weren't technically together yet. I listened onto their conversation.
           "Do you want to go for a swim some time?" Drizella asked.
           "Maybe when it warms up," Jared replied with a grin.
           "What's wrong, too chilly for you?" Drizella asked with a laugh. 
           "Maybe I'm afraid of the sea monsters!" Jared said, and tickled Drizella.
           "Yeah, I'm sure that Nessie'll jump out of the water for you," Drizella said, laughing. She and Jared eyed each other knowingly. 
           I shook my head, laughing softly. Glancing over at Talan and Mandy, I noticed that they had passed out. No surprise there. Anastasia had managed to spike all of the drinks without step-mother knowing. Speaking of step-mother, where was she? Surly she would disapprove of all the nonsense going on. 


            I shrugged and continued making the mac and cheese. I noticed that the counter needed a wash. Just as I was stirring the macaroni, Mandy got up and stumbled around before drifting off again on the floor. Talan also woke himself up, looking embarrassed. He glanced around, scratched his head, then went on tippy-toe into Anastasia and Drizella's bedroom. He left the door open.

           "Ana?" he said softly, his voice carrying to my ears. Anastasia kept snoring. "Ana, I know you can't hear me, but, Ana," he said, so softly I had to stop what I was doing and strain my ears. "I love you too."


           It hurt so much. Damn you Talan. I put the food on the stove, allowing it to get hot, feeling the pain physically and emotionally. It wasn't fair. Talan traveled outside with Mandy. I could hear them goofing around outside, laughing and poking fun at each other. Not in a flirty way though. I knew Mandy still stung from being rejected. 
           Tears dripped off of my chin freely. I didn't sob like a baby, or snort snot like a pig. I had dignified pain. I hurt. It hurt. I looked through blurry eyes to the food I was cooking. It was burnt. I was a menace. At least I hadn't burned down the oven this time. I turned off the oven and poured the burnt food in a bowl. It was still edible.


            I grabbed a sponge and wiped down the stove and then the counter. Scrub, scrub, scrub. I wasn't good enough for Talan. Scrub, scrub, scrub. I was a maid. Scrub, scrub, scrub. A damn worthless piece of filth that no one gives a damn about. Scrub, scrub, scrub. I would always be alone. Scrub, scrub, scrub. I threw the sponge in the sink, poured some burnt mac and cheese in a bowl and ate it. It was gross. It was badly burnt. It tasted like smoke. It tasted like rejection. 

             
            I washed up my dish and then roamed around the house, bored. I eavesdropped on Drizella's conversation with Jared. "Anastasia is being such a dirty slut. Doesn't she realize that Talan is a womanizer?" Yeah. Talan is a womanizer. I shrugged and put my ear back up to the door.
           "Aren't you being a little harsh? Anastasia isn't really being a slut, Drizzy." That was Jared.
           "What about her swimsuit?"
           "It's the same as yours. Not that I mind, of course," Jared added. Good point. Not the last part, obviously.
           I could practically hear the scowl in Drizella's voice. "Now don't you start up on me. I'm older, I can wear what I want."
           "Whatever you say, dollface." 
           "Don't call me that."
           "Sweetie? Nah, that's lame."
           "Yeah."
           "Babe?"
           Pause. "Just don't let mother hear." I laughed. "But don't you agree that Talan is a womanizer?" Drizella continued.
           "He is. He's such a man-whore. He tries to sleep with every girl he meets, especially pretty ones."
           "Then why is he after my sister?" OH. BURN. Wait, what's this about Talan being a man-whore?
           "I'm pretty sure he's just using her to get closer to your step-sister." My heart skipped a beat. I pressed my ear closer to the door.
           "What? I thought they already slept with each other," Drizella said. I risked opening the door slightly, straining my eyes to see their faces. I crossed my fingers that they wouldn't look at me.
           Jared looked skeptical. "I doubt it. Your sister is pretty clean."
           "No she's not. She doesn't take baths that often." That was only because I had to clean all the time, you stupid motherf-Jared continued.
           "I don't mean literally. But I don't think she's ever kissed a guy, let alone slept with one. She doesn't wear slutty clothes, like some people." Thank you Jared. I think I could like this guy if Drizella started to date him.
           "What are you trying to imply," Drizella hissed. Oops. I quietly shut the door. I glanced out step-mother's bedroom window while I waited for their discussion to end. Mandy was out there, creeping Pino. Get off my lawn, gurl, and leave my damned pets alone. Well, she could take Lucifer if she wanted. As if reading my thoughts, Lucifer mewed. I felt guilty. We had gotten along better now. If only it could last.


           I walked out to find Talan bending down, feeding Lucifer a treat while Drizella walked by with a bowl of burnt macaroni, looking amused. I wonder if he knew that they had been talking about him. Jared had passed out on the rug. I glanced outside. Wow, we had pulled an all nighter. At least, most of us had. Or not. Mandy, Talan, and Jared had all passed out, and Anastasia had gone to bed. It was Drizella and I left. I wasn't remotely tired after my nap. Mandy passed by me. "Hey, Mandy, where are you going?"
           "Bed," she said without a backwards glance. What? Bed? She should use the couch... but she was headed towards Drizella and Anastasia's room. I glanced and Drizella, but she merely shrugged nonchalantly. And where the hell was step-mother? I pushed into the room. Mandy was wearing one of Drizella and Anastasia's many nighties. She was just slipping into bed.
           "What the hell?" I said, shocked.
           "Ssh, we want to sleep. It's okay, Drizella gave me permission," Mandy said, flashing me one of her infuriantingly charming smiles. 
           "Whatever."


            I walked back out, scowling. Drizella had finished gobbling down the burnt M&C. I noticed Talan leaving. What? Already? Why? It would be weird to come home at about-I don't even know, three in the morning? It was the weekend, so it didn't matter. For a second, I thought he was going for the ice-cream truck. The ice-cream truck parks outside our house every night. It's really quite terrifying. No one gets in, no one gets out. But then again, I didn't watch the truck 24/7. My steps and I had a feeling that there was a pedophile in that truck, so no one from my house ever ventured out alone or unprotected while the truck was parked there. Knowing how the world worked though, it was probably a little old lady who just didn't have a home and had to live in her ice cream truck selling treats.



           Just as I was about to call out to Talan to not get anything from the truck, he turned a corned and the truck came to life. Talan went around to the side of the house and the truck made an impossible screeching turn on its wheels. No, definitively not a little old lady. I shrugged and climbed into step-mother's bed. My internal clock would be all messed up. Not too long after, Drizella stormed in.
           "WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING!" she screamed.
           Not. Not now. No. No, this isn't happening. "What the hell do you want," I said dangerously.
           "Get out of this bed. I need my beauty rest now."
           "Then use your own bed, retard," I said, then regretted it. That was rude. It was one of my rules to never call anyone a retard. 
           "Mandy's using it."
           "Then go sleep with her," I grumbled, then laughed at what I had just said. 
           "Very funny, a-hole," she snapped. "I'm sure you'd love to."
           "Shut up, v-hole," I replied, then started laughing again. I was too tired for this. "Go wake up Mandy, moron, and leave me alone."


          
            Drizella left, but I was up anyway, so I rose and made the bed. Naturally. Grumbling, I walked over the kitchen before realizing I was still in my night gown. Oops. Oh well, at this point I didn't care who saw me in what. Jared was trying to gulp down my burned food, only he kept choking on it. He noticed me and nodded towards the food. "Who made this?"
           "I did," I said, amused.
           He stopped choking and forced a swallow down, grimacing. He smiled at me, a burned macaroni flake on his tooth. "It's really quite good!"
           I laughed at his attempt to make me feel better about my cooking. Normally I was a pretty good chef, actually. "It's okay, don't worry about it. I know it's terrible."
           "It's not too bad!"
           "Don't lie."
           "Okay, it's horrible." He cracked another smile. He was kind of cute and charming. I smiled back. In fact, it wouldn't be half bad if Drizella date him. 



           Jared threw an unburnt pasta over his shoulder for Lucifer to eat up. Wow, Lucifer sure was getting his yum yums today. Jared stood up and grabbed his now empty bowl, as well as Drizella's. I held out my hand, expecting him to hand the dishes to me, but he strolled by and started washing the dishes with the sponge I had left in the sink. I stood, stunned. I didn't think that anyone in the house had washed dishes before, besides me. That I could remember, that is. Then my heart melted. He was too sweet. And he looked like he really loved Drizella. They would be so cute together. 
           Drizella had chickened out and slept on the couch instead of wakened up Miss Popular, Mandy Best. The Best of the Best. She now walked out and sat down next to the sleeping Drizella, eating some more burnt M&C. That stuff was popular!



            I grabbed my homework and sat down, finally having a little bit of peace and quiet. Talan sat down opposite of me with a bowl of my famous burned Macaroni and Cheese. It was tense; he knew something was up.
           "Why'd you go outside," I said stiffly to break the silence.
           "I had to piss," he said.
           Great. That was so polite. So lovely. I only started noticing how crude Talan could be. "So you went to the bathroom in my yard."
           "Well, yeah."
           "Why didn't you just go in our bathroom?"
           "Well, I had to also..." he turned bright red. I made a face, repulsed. What the hell?! 
           "Did you have to jerk..." I couldn't say it. I was bright red now, too.
           Talan didn't say anything. EW. WHY WHY WHY. Talan, Talan, Talan, that's wrong. Just to add the awkwardness to that moment, Jared strolled out.
           "DUDE! I just took a massive dump! Damn! I think I might've screwed up the crapper or something."
           Talan put down his spoon. I understood why. Why did every boy have to be so crude and... typical? Typical, typical, typical. 



           Anastasia had apparently gotten up, because she was enjoying my last bowl of burned M&C. Mandy used the toilet after (EW), causing it to overflow. EW. EW. EW. I hated parties. Anastasia went after, even with the toilet overflowing with water and... other debris. I guess the Macaroni had given everyone a stomach ache. I looked down at my own stomach. It seemed okay. 



           I rolled my eyes. Great. I would have to fix the toilet and clean it later. Dandy. I turned, already hating all of the guests. To my amazement, Mandy climbed onto the counter and started... gyrating...



           What the freaking hell.


Slut.

No comments:

Post a Comment