Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Chapter 27: There's Always Light at the End of the Tunnel

I traveled into the karaoke club, needing a place where I could sort out my feelings without any influence other than drink. To my great shock, I found Becky, dressed in a lab coat (most likely from her latest job), sitting alone at a table. This was no coincidence. This was fate.
           "Becky!" I said, and she glanced around. She grinned at the sound of my voice, but her smile faded as she took in my outfit and the tears on my face.
           She stood up. "Darling, Cinderella, what have you done?"
           I burst into tears. "Becky, I've done something horrible! I've cheated on Prince!"
           "What? With who?" Becky looked disappointed in me, but reassuring all the same.
           "Chad Luck." I wiped some tears off my cheek.
           "Chad? He's my brother-in-law. Sometimes he can almost be a big of a dick as your father-in-law."
           I chuckled, nodding. "He's the guy who saved me from the potential rapist, Don Lothario. I had had a crush on him for a while after that event."
           "So what happened, exactly?"
           I relayed the events of the night, feeling better as I did so. I needed to get out the pent up aggression and emotions I had been feeling lately, and I needed to get the guilt of the night off my chest. My tears dried as I told Becky about Destiny and the drinking and the clubs. Becky was sympathetic and understanding, never interrupting or losing focus.


           "What you need to do," Becky said as I finished my story, "Is tell Prince. Right away."
           "What? No! He doesn't need to know!"
           "Cinderella," Becky said sternly, "You owe that to him. The truth. One lie and your relationship could fall apart."
           "Becky! I had sex with another man!" I lowered my voice as heads whipped around to look at me. "I cheated on him. How can I even expect him to forgive me?"
           Becky took a deep breath. "Cind. Cindy. Listen to me. It's written all over your face. Prince probably already suspects you've slept with someone. He'll ask questions. He'll know if you're lying. And once you tell him, he'll be mad at you. He won't want to talk to you. He won't trust you for a long time. But you need to tell him."
           She was right. "Becky... what if I tell him and he divorces me? What if he stops loving me?"
           Becky took a sharp intake of breath. "That's a risk you'll have to try and take."
           My heart sank. "Oh, god. I remember telling him to never push me away to test our love and I feel like that's what I'm doing."
           Becky pulled me into a tight hug which lasted for a while. "Good luck, Cinderella. I can't promise you'll come out well, but you're doing the right thing."
           I nodded into her shoulder. We parted, staring at each other for a few moments. Then we nodded briefly and I lifted my head, pulled my shoulders back, and left the club.


           I arrived at our house sobbing. I was finding it hard to summon up the courage to tell Prince the truth. I knew I had to do it, though. I settled on standing near the mailbox, weeping in my hands. I was disgusted with myself.


           I heard a creak and looked up in fright, choking back sobs. Prince stood by the open door. The moonlight glistened off of his perfect abs. His six pack. My eyes worked there way up to his face. His perfect, kind, funny face. Why was I ruining what was perfect? How could perfect not be good enough? He was perfect. There was nothing wrong with him. I was the flawed one. I was the one who had thrown it away. But it was time to collect it back, mend the relationship I had ruined with my own boredom.


           Prince came up to me wordlessly, wrapping me in a strong, tight hug. I felt so safe and warm in his arms, so at home. I hugged him back. I felt him pulling out of the hug though, so I released him. I didn't want to let go, to end the moment of peace, to begin the moment of sorrow. I didn't want to fess up, but it was time.
           "Prince," I started, and he stared at me patiently with his chocolate brown eyes, "Prince. I-I need you to-to, listen to me." I stammered the words out, not liking the forceful sound on my tongue. "Please listen to me," I tried again.
           He nodded curtly.


           I wasn't sure where to begin. "Tonight, as I was walking towards the karaoke club, I met someone. Actually, I had met them once before." I took a deep breath, changing stories briefly. "You know Don Lothario?"
           "The rapist?" Prince said with concern, steeling himself up. He looked at me intently, worry written all over his eyes.
           "Y-yes, the rapist guy. I wasn't raped," I added quickly. I didn't deserve his worry. I also didn't deserve the look of relief that fell over his face. "I never told you about who saved me. It was Chad Luck, Becky's husband-Wylie Luck-it was his brother."
           Prince furrowed his brow, but kept silent.
   

           "I'm sorry, Prince, I really am. I had sex with him." Tears streamed down my face and I looked down in shame. I wanted, I needed him to see how sincere I was. "I'm sorry, Prince. I'd do anything so you can forgive me. I was stupid."


           Prince's face held many emotions. His body language was obvious. Narrowed eyebrows, flared nostrils, and one quivering, stuck out lip. His huge muscles suddenly seemed very ominous. He was hurt, felt betrayed, and looked angry.
           I cried silently. I didn't want him to think I was crying so he would forgive me. I was crying because I was ashamed of myself. If my parents were alive, they'd be so disappointed. I felt even more guilty, even more sorrowful. 


           Prince took a deep, shuddering breath, and I knew he wasn't far from crying. He bent down slightly, took me by the shoulders, and gazed up into my face. "Cinderella," he commenced, "We will get through this."
           I stared at him in amazement. "You forgive me?"
           Prince shook his head and my spirits lowered. "I think it will take a long time for me to forgive you. I won't trust you for a while. But I believe you when you say you're sorry. I can see you're sincere. No matter what, I'll always love you, and I'm willing to give you a second chance."
           I smiled through my tears. "Prince, I don't deserve forgiveness. I don't deserve your love. I don't deserve anything right now. But," my voice broke, "I will never stop loving you."


           Prince wrapped me in his arms again. "Everybody makes mistakes. That doesn't make you a bad person." He stroked my hair.
           "Not a mistake like this. I am a bad person."
           He sighed, and I could feel one of his hot tears on my bare shoulder. 
           "I'm sorry, Prince. I never knew how much hurt I would cause. I never knew how much I would hurt you, how much I would hurt myself."
           Prince was quiet. I assumed it was because he couldn't talk. "I love you." His voice was gruff, and I knew I had broken his heart.
           "Prince, I'm sorry. I'll never do that again, never. I love you too much."
           "Why did you hurt me like that?"
           More tears. I hadn't an answer. "I was selfish. I was only thinking about me. I didn't think about the consequences, or the people I love. I was unhappy with my life, and I convinced myself that having sex with someone else would fix it. But it didn't. Cheating is never the answer."
           "Why are you unhappy?"
           I paused. "I'm ungrateful, Prince. I didn't realize what I had. I have three beautiful children that I love, the best father-in-law in the world, the nicest house in the city, and the best husband ever." I thought of Sandy, Buzz, and Andy. I missed them. I missed Sandy looking around for her brothers. I missed Buzz trying to pee on the floor. I missed Andy playing the xylophone. But mainly, I missed Prince making me laugh.


           "It must have started somewhere," Prince insisted.
           "I want to be a singer," I admitted. No more holding back, no more hiding.
           "Cinderella," Prince said with relief, stroking my cheek, "Why didn't you say so?"
           "I felt like you would laugh... it is a silly dream."
           Prince shook his head, completely serious. "No. It's your dream. I should've listened to you before. The kids and I are holding you back. We're going to work this out, Cinderella."
           "I'd like to, Prince. Even if I can't become a famous singer, I don't want to lose you."
           Prince smiled. "Come inside. We can grab something to eat. The kids are probably worrying."


           I went inside and made some PB&J sandwiches for Prince and I. I suddenly realized how starved I was. I bit into my sandwich greedily. I noticed a piece of cake next to me, half eaten. Prince noticed me looking at it and spoke up. "That's Andy's."

           "How come he didn't finish it?" Andy was a glutton, normally.
           Prince sighed. "I'd better get you updated on what happened when you left today."



           "So, as you know, Andy is six years old," Prince started. I turned my head and rolled my eyes. Did he think I was that ignorant? "And he aged up today."
           "What?"
           "While you were gone, Andy matured. He turned from a toddler to a child."
           My jaw went slack. I was ignorant! "Omigod!" I shrieked, hyperventilating, "What happened?"
           "Well," Prince said patiently, "I was sitting in the chair, and Andy went, 'Where is mommy?'"
           My heart broke. Prince's eyes were still wet. "Prince, I-"
           "I said, 'I don't know, Andy.' And then he said, 'Does she not love us anymore?'" I let out a shuddering sob, losing my appetite once more. Prince looked at me scornfully. "Then he walked towards his crib, to go in it, I guess, when he started glowing light."



           "He took one more step, and then he morphed into a normal sized six year old boy."
           "So we'll need to put him in school," I mused. "What was he wearing when he aged up?"
           "Oh, just some red boxer shorts," Prince replied.
           "Does he look like you?"
           Prince hesitated. "He has my eyes. But he has dad's hair, doesn't he? Is he supposed to dye it for the rest of his life, Cindy?"
           "Whenever he's old enough to understand, he can make his decision."



           "That still doesn't explain how come the cake is here," I continued.
           "Right. So, after he aged up, he stared at his crib for a long time," Prince said.
           "What did you do with his toddler bed, anyway?"
           "Oh, well it was there... but we had never moved Andy's old crib. I called King over and told him that we needed to get Andy a proper bed, so dad rushed out to buy one."



           "While we waited for dad to come back with the new bed, I got Andy to help me haul out his crib. Then Sandy came into the room dressed in her little bear suit. She was so shocked to see how big Andy was," Prince said, laughing at the memory. My heart gave a pang-I was proud of my children, but sad to have missed these moments. "Andy sat her down and they started playing peek-a-boo. I had to refrain myself from awing out-loud."



           "Then they hugged. They were adorable. Buzz was no where to be seen, but I found out later that he was clogging the toilet with a toy horse," Prince said, his eyes glazed and far away.
           "Typical," I said with a grin.
           "That's when dad came back with the bed, and we got it all set up. It's like a pirate ship, with blue striped covers."



           "While we were setting up the bed, Andy went downstairs to have desert. When dad and I finished setting up the bed, I went back down to find Andy crying into his slice of cake, shoveling it into his mouth. I asked him what was wrong. He explained that the reason why he had aged up was because he understood what was happening between us. He had matured."



           "He told me about how he had heard us arguing the night before. He said that he was scared we were going to get a divorce. So I had a long talk with him and brought him up to his new bed. I noticed you walking home, so I headed downstairs. I wanted to talk to you about," he paused apologetically, "The situation."



           "King put Buzz and Sandy away. Of course, Sandy went to sleep last because dad was too busy playing with her," Prince said, rolling his eyes.
           "Prince," I said seriously, "Are you mad at me?"
           Prince took my hands in his. "No. I'm disappointed in you. I feel betrayed by you. I'm sad that you would do such a thing. But I love you too much to be mad at you. I love the kids too much, as well. We need to do this for the kids."
           "What about our marriage?"
           "That too," Prince said with a half-hearted wink, standing up to collect the dishes.
           "Honestly, hon," I said with a sigh, "I just committed a terrible act and have neglected my family for over a month. I think washing the dishes is the least I can do."
           He nodded, handed me the dishes, and went off to bed.



           I thought things over as I scrubbed the dishes. I needed to physically wipe the dishes free of their filth. I needed to wipe myself of my filth. I had a long shower before climbing into bed beside Prince. I was so lucky to have a patient, understanding husband like him. I would be no where without him.
           The next morning, I needed to right my wrongs. I woke up with my stupid makeup all over my face because I had neglected washing it off. I turned on my cellphone. My family wasn't the only one I owed something to. Unfortunately, my message went to Chad's voice-mail. I only hoped that he would hear me out.



           I knew one way I could try and make up for my behaviour. I grabbed my microphone and amplifier kit and headed downstairs. I passed by Andy, who seemed to be playing rock, paper, scissors with himself. I held in a groan. Andy hated me enough as it was.



           I strutted outside, dressed in my blue nightie, my hair all messed up, my ridiculous clown makeup smeared, not caring who saw or heard me. I set down my portable amplifier, picked up my wireless microphone, and started belting out a tune as loud as possible. I sang "Forgive Me", by Nataly. The lyrics described my situation perfectly. At one point, I noticed Prince standing by the window watching me. I only hoped this would help him.
           When I was finishing the song, Chad pulled up in a red pickup truck. He rolled down his window. "You drunk?"
           I ignored him. He waited patiently for me to finish my song. When I did, I replied, "Nope."
           He grinned at me. "All good then?"
           I shrugged. "For the most part, I think."
           "Good for you, Cinderella," he said, giving me a thumbs up before driving away.



           I was glad that bit was settled, at least. I picked up my microphone and amplifier and headed back inside. I saw Prince turn away from the window. I swore that his cheeks were glistening. Andy came running out of the house towards me, dressed in new clothes I had picked out for him ages ago. I was pleased to see that they fit pretty well and looked nice.
           "Mom," Andy said, coming to a halt before me, "Dad wants to see you."
           I felt like Prince was testing me. Andy started to turn around. "Andy?" He looked back at me patiently. I swooped down on him, giving him a hug. He stood stiffly, not returning my hug. "Andy, I miss you, sweetie. I know I haven't been a good mum lately, and I'm sorry."
           Andy finally put his arms around me in a quick hug. "I miss you too, mom." He struggled out of my hug.
           "Love you!" I called to Andy as he started back towards the house.
           He stuck his tongue at me. "Love ya too, ma!"
           I grinned. At least I was back on speaking terms with my son.



           I walked in to see Prince smirking at me. "So, you made amends with our son?"
           "Yeah..." I said shyly. "Are you still mad at me?"
           Prince rolled his eyes. "Obviously. But I know when you're lying to me. And you weren't lying when you told me you were sorry."
           "And I love you," I blurted.
           Prince winked. "That too."
           "Look, Prince honey, I need to take as shower..." I said with a sigh, giving Prince big puppy-dog eyes.
           Prince let a sly grin escape his lips. "I think I'll join you."
           Damn. They weren't lying when they said that makeup sex was the best kind.
           After I had fixed my hair and gotten dressed, Prince pulled me into our kids' room to talk. I still felt the makeup remnants on my face as I squished Prince in a hug. "I still look old," I admitted, "But at least I don't feel old anymore. Just my age."



           "You still look young to me," Prince said, spicing things up with a kiss. It wasn't the most romantic thing-we were standing next to a potty full of poop, and our daughter was letting out little gurgling noises as she slept, but it felt warm and right. It felt new. I felt like we had discovered a new part of each other. The good and the bad. Or at least Prince had. I still couldn't find anything wrong with Prince.
           "So what did you want to talk to me about?" I asked, pulling away reluctantly.
           "Oh, right. Well, I found a little book that Andy seems to be recording events in."
           "A diary?" I suggested skeptically.
           "A journal." I rolled my eyes. Obviously he would cover for his fellow guy.



           "In the journal, he wrote something," Prince explained, fishing around in the dresser for something.
           "No, really?"
           "Shut up for a sec. Aha, here it is!" Prince said triumphantly, producing a small, blue leather-bound notebook. "Can you read this entry here?"
           I smirked at him before leaning over the notebook.

Mom and daddy fite alot now. I cryed myself to sleep a few times. Jessie makes it better.

           "Jessie?" I cried. "What the hell?"

           "As in the doll that he always carries around."
           I kept reading.

I play games with her. She toht me a game called Rock, Paper, Sissors. Mom saw me playing it with Jessie and looked at me funny. Jessie is real. No one can see her ecsept me. I even tried to tell daddy about her. I thote he wood understand.


           "What did he say about, 'Jessie?'" I asked.
           "He told me that Jessie talks to him and plays with him... I think that he has a little friend."


           "You know," I recalled, "I saw him playing rock, paper, scissors by himself... maybe that's what he was referring to."
           "Just finish reading it," Prince said with a sigh.

Jessie beat me five times. She is really good! She says that wen I am older, I can free her. She says she is a human stuk in a doll body. She says to free her I need to make a spechal poson for her.

           "Does 'poson' mean potion or poison?" Prince asked once he saw I was done reading.
           I shrugged. "Potion, probably. Godmother wouldn't give us a deadly doll for Andy."
           "Course if godmother says something, it must be true," Prince said, rolling his eyes.


           "Shut up," I said playfully, punching his shoulder. He grinned at me. I still marveled at his ability to forgive me so easily. He kissed my cheek. "Darling," I said, "How come you can forgive me so easily?"
           Prince arched a brow. "It wasn't exactly easy... but I can relate. When I was younger, I dated a girl that was unbelievably perfect in my father's eyes. It got to a point where I would come home to find her sitting on the couch chatting with my dad. I grew sullen and eventually cheated on her with a really hot cheerleader. When my girlfriend found out, she flipped out and told my dad. He was really disappointed in me. I felt really guilty. I never talked to her again. I know how it feels to not be given a second chance, to talk things over," Prince finished, and I melted under his big brown eyes.
           "Oh, Prince," I swooned, planting kisses over him.
           "Kids! C'mon down here and see what I got today!" King shouted from below.
           Prince and I made our way down the stairs to the kitchen. "Your godmother gave it to us," King explained. He was holding something resembling a baby rattle. Behind him was Sandy, sitting in a filthy high chair. King muttered a few foreign sounding words, flicked the rattle, and announced, "Done!"


           Prince and I glanced at each other. "Has he lost it?" I whispered cautiously to Prince.
           "I don't know," Prince breathed back at me.
           "I can hear you, brats," King chuckled, "Go on outside and take a peek."
           Prince went first. "Oh my dear lord!" He cried.
           "Prince? Are you okay?" I ran around the corner after him, and when I saw what he had, I couldn't help but let out a blood-curling scream.


It was a skeleton dressed in a maid's uniform.

No comments:

Post a Comment